I’ll be honest, last week I wasn’t too worried about the Coronavirus but things seem to have accelerated overnight and now I’m feeling really unsure about what the future holds for us all.
Anyway, enough doom and gloom. A lot of us are taking the necessary precautions and self isolating as much as possible, so as we’ll be spending more time in our homes for the foreseeable future, I thought it would be a good idea to collate a list of home improvements you can make instead of going stir crazy, staring at 4 walls!
1. Clean – cleaning our homes not only keeps the germs away, it is great for your mental health too. So take the opportunity to get on top of your cleaning schedule once and for all!
2. Get organised! We’re approaching Spring which means warmer days are close (hooray!) and a wardrobe change around is on the cards. I normally vacuum pack my winter wardrobe which then goes in to a suitcase in the wardrobe. I then bag up anything I haven’t worn in a while and take it to the charity shop. Obviously this doesn’t just apply to clothes, it’s a great excuse to have a good old clear out all around the house.
3. Rearrange a room – As a child I was forever moving my bedroom around. It gave it a new lease of life and made me feel good as well. If you have a room at home that needs a refresh, try rejigging the furniture, you’d be surprised at what a difference it makes.
4. Paint something – Most people have paint tins leftover from previous projects so why not get some out and give something a lick of paint. You could paint a feature on a wall, a piece of furniture or maybe some terracotta pots ready for the garden.
5. Do some gardening – We might have to avoid public places but our gardens aren’t off limits. The weather is looking great this week, so why not get outside and start clearing up the aftermath of winter! You might even want to stencil your patio! See my tutorial here if you fancy giving it a go.
6. Make something – Why not start that project you’ve had saved to your ‘DIY’ Pinterest board for ages? I have lots of ideas on my blog for inspo too, please check them out!
7. Shop your own home – By looking around your own home and finding new uses for things you haven’t used for ages, or just simply swapping things about can make a huge difference when it comes to refreshing your home. Even simple things like rearranging some shelves or changing mirrors, artwork or accessories, small changes can make a big impact.
8. Grow some plants – Find some old jars and take some cuttings from your plants. Pop them in water and place them on your window seal. The roots will begin to sprout and once established, you can plant them in soil filled pots!
9. Upcycle – Upcycling projects come in many forms, it can be something as simple as slapping some paint on a chest of drawers to a more complex project like making your own lamp. Upcycling is a great way to repurpose something no longer fit or used for its original purpose and saves it ending up in landfill!
10. Start that DIY job you’ve been putting off! – We’ve all got a list of home improvements we’ve been meaning to do and there is quite literally no time like the present! So tighten that hinge on the kitchen cupboard, replace the bulbs in the kitchen spotlights and repaint the skirting boards. Whatever the job, big or small, just start it. You’ll be proud of yourself afterwards, trust me!
I hope this post has given you some ideas or motivation to use this time to your advantage and make your home as comfortable and beautiful as possible whilst self isolating.
Let’s hope this is all over with soon.
Until next time, Hayley x
This was a llovely blog post
thank you x